Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Don't laugh at me...

This one is a 2-fer. I am going to have to tell a background story to get to the story I want to tell.

I have a birth defect. Those of you who know me personally know that. You can't miss it. It isn't something that I especially like to talk about, but I don't mind anyone asking questions. It isn't something that I could ever hide if I wanted to. It won't go away and there is nothing that I can do about that. God made me this way for a reason and I have accepted that. If you want more information on it you can go to...http://www.smiletrain.org/

Because of this birth defect I have not had the easiest life. I addition to the many many operations that I have had to endure, I have also had to deal with constant teasing and being made fun of. Third grade was the most difficult for me. There was a girl in my class who was a lawyers child, so she pretty much got away with whatever. This girl made fun of me every day. I would come home crying every day asking my mama why I had to be like this. I can't imagine the heartbreak that my mother went through in hearing this. She even wrote a letter to the editor that year pleading for it to stop. Alot of parents called her, wanting to make sure that it wasn't their child doing the damage. Of course, the parents of the girl that was doing it didn't call. My teacher was no help that year. In order to deal with the girl, she sent ME to counseling classes! To this day I still despise that lady.

It wasn't just 3rd grade though, it was every grade. At least until I got into high school it was. Around 7th or 8th grade I learned to take up for myself. The damage was done already though. I think that because of this I matured much faster than those my age. I have always felt more comfortable with people older than me. It has for the most part shaped who I am today.

Because of this I have NEVER and would NEVER make fun of someone. If you see someone in public and they are acting strange or their kids are acting strange or seem to be misbehaving don't judge. You never know what someone else is going through.

My mama told me a story when I was little. She said that when she was in grade school and was at recess one day there was a little girl who wanted to play with her and her friends. She said that she was mean to the little girl and didn't let her play with them. She said that that night the little girl died. She said that she never got to tell her she was sorry or anything. She always regretted that. That story has also made a big impact on my life.

Next story...

Because of all of this that has happened over my life, I am very protective of my children. They are autistic and do not know and understand alot of things. They do things that aren't normal to others even though it is to them. No one really knows what goes on in their heads.

You would think that being around your family would be the one place where you could be yourself without the worry of being judged. I have found out first hand that this is not true. I had a horrible Thanksgiving thanks to one family member. Maybe I jump too fast at someone saying something about my child. This family member wasn't an adult, but not a small child either. I think she was old enough to not act the way she did towards my child.

Yes, he was doing something that would have been inappropriate for a normal child. He is AUTISTIC. He does quirky things, crazy things, silly things, and yes, gross things. I have just learned to accept it.

I am not sure what to do about this. Do people not choose to teach their children about making fun of others?? I don't know if I should just let it go or try and do something about it??

I am heartbroken over this. I love my family, but I love my children more. I will never let anyone hurt my children if I can help it.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Ugh. I don't have a useful comment but I didn't want to leave this post just hanging there all alone...

Shannon's Stuff said...

As mothers, I believe we must stick up for our children. This person is probably immature and would have recieve a tongue lashing from me at least. I hope that I have raised my children to not make fun of or tease anyone. I hope you have a much better Christmas.